On Saturday, June 10, 2023, the World Endoscopy Organization (WEO) organized a webinar titled "Video Capsule Endoscopy in Children." This online event, hosted by Dr. Jean-François Rey and Dr. Admar Borges, brought together international experts in this field to give insightful presentations. This webinar is designed to provide a basic and advanced understanding of the practical aspects of Video Capsule Endoscopy in children.
While capsule endoscopy has become widely used in adults, its utilization in pediatric patients has been less extensive. However, children have shown excellent tolerance towards capsule endoscopy for its obvious advantages such as non-invasiveness, improved patient comfort, and enhanced diagnostic capabilities, making it an invaluable tool for diagnosing and monitoring gastrointestinal conditions in this population. The webinar covered an array of topics including:
• VCE in children – When? (Dr Cristina Carretero)
• Comparing Swallowing to Endoscopic Placement (Dr. Christopher Burgess)
• Intestinal Polyps and Polyposis (Dr. Thomas Attard)
• Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Dr. Salvatore Oliva)
• Retention risk and use of patency capsule in children (Dr. Stanley Cohen)
• Device Assisted Enteroscopy: Who is it suitable for? (Dr. Arun Urs)
• Magnetically guided gastric capsule in children (Dr. Jean-François Rey)
During Dr. Jean-François Rey’s presentation, he commended the OMOM RC Robotic Capsule Endoscopy System, recognizing its outstanding features and potential in its use in children. Dr. Rey emphasized the system's remarkable automation, which eliminates the need for extensive human intervention, streamlines the procedure, and simplifies workflow. This advanced automation not only enhances efficiency but also improves patient comfort and cooperation, making capsule endoscopy a more favorable option for young individuals.